General health drugs consist of a broad spectrum of drugs that are used for the treatment of a large variety of health conditions. These medications encompass several drug classes and are meant to improve a person’s general health.
Most Commonly Used General Health Medications
Here is a list of the most commonly prescribed general health drugs:
- Atorvastatin (Lipitor)
- Levothyroxine (Synthroid)
- Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril)
- Omeprazole (Prilosec)
- Metformin (Glucophage)
- Amlodipine (Norvasc)
- Simvastatin (Zocor)
- Hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide)
- Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL)
- Pantoprazole (Protonix)
Classes of General Health Medications
Below, we will describe some of the most popular categories among the general health medications:
- Antihypertensives: This category includes a large selection of drugs that are using to treat hypertension. The most common drugs in this category include calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, and ACE inhibitors.
- Antibiotics: Of course antibiotics are going to be among the most commonly prescribed general health meds. Some of the most widely spread examples of antibiotics include amoxicillin, doxycycline, and ciprofloxacin.
- Analgesics: Analgesics range from common, OTC drugs such as NSAIDs to prescription only opioid and non-opioid analgesics. Prime examples of these drugs include ibuprofen, aspirin, and acetaminophen.
- Antidiabetics: Diabetes is rampant in developed countries which is why management of this disease is extremely important. The most common drugs in this category are the well-known insulin and lesser-known metformin, both of which help to manage is blood sugar level, ensuring their overall health.
- Antidepressants: Medications that contain tricyclic antidepressants as well as serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used as one of the most common methods of treating mood disorders.
- Statins: Over the years, statins have proven to be a reliable method of lowering the cholesterol levels, which helps mitigate the damage caused by obesity or genetic disorders.
Safety Measures for General Health Medications
Just like any other medications, general health meds can have certain adverse effects which should be carefully considered before you begin taking them. It’s vital to understand that the possible drug interactions and side effects can be more severe than the disease itself. This is why it’s extremely important to receive help from a specialist who will evaluate your overall health and determine how safe it is for you to take these drugs. For example, the doctor may recommend that you lower the dosage or use a combination of several drugs to mitigate the adverse effects of the medications that you’re going to take.
Proper Usage of General Health Medications
Here are a few tips on how to properly take general health medications, ensuring that you get the most favorable outcome:
- Make certain that all of your doctor’s instructions are closely followed.
- Never allow other people to use your drugs as sometimes it can prove to be fatal and only you will be held accountable for it.
- Be sure to quickly call an ER if you feel that the adverse effects that you experience are getting severe.