An antibiotic called Keflex generic is used to treat a number of infections. It is a member of the cephalosporin family, which efficiently combats bacterial infections. It inhibits the growth and reproduction of bacteria, which allows the body to cope with the infection.
This medication is among the most effective and widely used antibiotics. Keflex has a number of advantages that make it indispensable in the treatment of infections.
- Broad spectrum: It works well against a wide variety of pathogens. This makes it possible to treat different infections with this medication.
- Safety and good tolerance: Keflex is generally well tolerated by patients and has few side effects. This makes it safe to use even in children and pregnant women.
- Ease of use: This medication is sold in tablet or capsule form as well as powder for suspensions, making it easy to use. Most patients can take the medicine at home without the need for hospitalization.
- Long-action: Keflex has a long half-life, allowing it to be taken as little as 2-3 times a day. This reduces inconvenience and improves adherence to the recommended treatment plan.
Keflex generic is a reliable and effective treatment for infections. They are widely used in medical practice and are recommended by doctors in many cases. If necessary, talk to your doctor about considering this medication.
Medication known as generic Keflex is widely used in medical practice due to its effectiveness and safety. It is prescribed to people of different ages in the following cases:
- Acute and chronic bronchitis;
- Dangerous urinary tract infections;
- Skin and soft tissue infections.
Generic Keflex Price in the US and Canada
The medication can be bought in Canada online for around $45-50 for 90 tablets with a dosage of 500mg. Canadian pharmacies also offer a generic version of this medication, which typically costs less. In the United States, the price is significantly higher. You will pay from $750 to $ 825 for the same amount of capsules with the same dosage. Fortunately, it is possible to order medications from Canadian pharmacies to the United States, which many individuals take advantage of.
Information about taking antibiotics
Antibiotics are medicines that inhibit the growth and/or reproduction of bacteria in your body. They are not effective against viral infections, nor for conditions where infection is a seeming thing. For example, after a myocardial infarction, some people may develop a condition similar to pneumonia. However, it is not associated with an infection. In this case, the patient’s immune system attacks the lung tissue that it was originally supposed to protect: the use of an antibiotic here is pointless and the doctor will prescribe other groups of drugs.
Of course, you should not drink alcohol with an antibiotic. With regard to other drinks, there are also nuances. In pharmacology, there is another drink that can play a cruel joke on you, which is not very obvious at first glance. This is grapefruit juice. It contains substances that affect liver enzymes involved in the neutralization of drugs. Therefore, when taking certain drugs and grapefruit juice at the same time, the drugs may not work as prescribed by doctors. For example, they can be quickly removed from the blood, or vice versa, they can stay there longer than usual, which can lead to poisoning. Accordingly, ordinary water at room temperature should be used to take medicines.
Contraindications of Keflex Generic
Individual intolerance to cephalosporins or penicillins can stand in the way of taking this medication. Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug is also another contraindication.
Only when the intended benefit to the mother surpasses the possible harm to the fetus is it permissible to use the medicine throughout pregnancy and nursing. If prescribed medication is used while nursing, breastfeeding should be terminated.
These are just the most common contraindications. Your medical specialist will advise you on whether your current health condition as well as any of the health issues are a reason to raise a red flag or if they will not stand in the way of your treatment with this medicine.
Whether or not it is safe to take this antibiotic with any of the other medications should only be decided by your doctor. Most doctors have access to specialized databases in their pockets that help evaluate the interactions and the risks of combining them.
Besides some of the other medications, it is worth noting that antibiotics should not be combined with sorbents – substances that supposedly absorb toxins from the intestines. Along with toxins, these drugs will absorb the antibiotic itself, so it will not be able to provide the help that it is supposed.
Keflex generic treatment and dosages are determined by the doctor individually, taking into account the severity of the disease, the localization of the infection, the data of bacteriological studies, and the sensitivity of the pathogen.
Usually, you will need to continue taking this medication for 7-14 days, but in the case of severe infectious diseases, long-term therapy is possible. The dosage for adults is usually 250 mg, but it can be doubled. For children, the dosage is notably smaller as it is calculated based on their body weight by giving 25-100 mg per kilogram.
Treatment with the drug should be continued for at least another 48-72 hours after the disappearance of the symptoms of the disease and/or according to the results of bacteriological analysis. Here are some of the other points you should keep in mind before and during the use of this medication:
- The drug should be taken orally 30-40 minutes before a meal or after a meal, without chewing the capsules and drinking plenty of water.
- The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor depending on the severity and nature of the infection.
- It is not recommended to independently change the dosage or stop taking the drug without the consent of the doctor. Early discontinuation may lead to a recurrence of the infection.
- If you are prescribed several doses a day, distribute them evenly throughout the time you are not sleeping.
- You should not take a missed dose close in timing when the next dose intake is.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and medicines containing alcohol while taking Keflex, as this may increase the side effects of the drug.
- The impaired renal function raises the chance of cumulation of the substance in the body, so correction of the dosing regimen is required.
- Data show that there is no need to adjust the dosage of the drug in elderly patients. However, it is necessary to take into account age-related changes in kidney function. With a significant violation of it, the dose should be reduced and renal function should be carefully monitored during treatment.
- If you experience side effects such as rash, itching, or swelling, please consult your doctor immediately.
It is important to remember that these recommendations are general and may change depending on your condition and the nature of the infection. Always follow your doctor’s instructions.
Effect time of Generic Keflex
Keflex helps to quickly and effectively cope with the infection, restore health, and prevent complications. Absorption of Keflex in the digestive tract is 90%. The maximum concentration is reached one and a half to two hours after ingestion. The period of therapeutic activity of the drug is 4 to 6 hours.
This medicinal product is well tolerated, has low toxicity, and has minimal side effects. Its safety has been proven by many years of clinical experience. This makes it safe to use even in children and elderly patients.
Side effects may show up as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, vaginal infections, and/or allergic reactions. If you experience serious side effects such as seizures, jaundice, or bloody diarrhea, you should immediately consult your doctor.
The symptoms of an overdose can manifest themselves as nausea, vomiting, discomfort in the epigastric region, diarrhea, and hematuria. If other symptoms are observed, they appear to be secondary to the underlying condition. In case of intake of higher doses than recommended, the doctors will carry out symptomatic treatment to ensure that the health of the individual is stabilized and not harmed, if possible.
We try to publish reliable and up-to-date materials. At the same time, we cannot give any guarantee regarding the posted materials. All materials and publications on this website are posted for general informational purposes only.
Remember that even a thorough study of the instructions is not a reason to replace a visit to the doctor with self-treatment. All responsibility for the consequences of treatment without a doctor’s prescription lies with you.
If you feel any changes in your health or symptoms, consult your doctor. Any data from our website or other data source should not be used to make decisions about changing a dose, changing a drug, or stopping treatment. The website administration is not responsible for the misuse of information on the website.