Men’s health drugs are a category of drugs that are designed to alleviate various symptoms that plague the male population. This includes sexual issues ranging from premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction to hormonal imbalances like testosterone deficiency, etc.
Popular Men’s Health Medications
Some of the men’s health drugs warrant a special mention due to how popular they are and how often they are being prescribed. Here are the most common ones:
- Sildenafil (Viagra)
- Tadalafil (Cialis)
- Vardenafil (Levitra)
- Kamagra (Sildenafil)
- Dapoxetine (Priligy)
- Finasteride (Propecia)
- Tamsulosin (Flomax)
- Testosterone gel (Androgel)
- Alfuzosin (Uroxatral)
Classes of Men’s Health Medications
Naturally, there are several major categories of men’s health drugs that are used for the treatment of various conditions. Here are the most often prescribed categories:
- Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors: This group is used to treat erectile dysfunction and is most well-known for Sildenafil (Viagra), but also includes Tadalafil (Cialis) and Vardenafil (Levitra).
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors: First and foremost this group of drugs is used to treat depression. However, it can also be used as an excellent treatment from premature ejaculation, with Dapoxetine (Priligy) being the prime example.
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: When the natural levels of testosterone are too low, it can be easily corrected by administering artificial testosterone, allow easy treatment of low libido, mood swings, and loss of bone density.
- Alpha-blockers: Frequent and strained urination is often the sign of an enlarged prostate which can be symptomatically treated by using Alfuzosin, Tamsulosin, and other alpha-blockers.
- 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors: For many men, male pattern baldness is a major concern. Thankfully, Finasteride (Propecia) helps delay the onset of male pattern baldness and benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Precautions When Using Men’s Health Medications
Despite the fact that the above medications can have a dramatic effect on men’s quality of life, you shouldn’t take them without consulting a specialist first. All medications have side effects as well as possible interactions with other drugs. This is why it is extremely important to provide your doctor with your medical history allowing them to assess whether it is safe for you to take a certain men’s health medication or not.
Proper Usage of Men’s Health Medications
In order to ensure that your treatment goes as planned, here is what you have to do when taking men’s health medications:
- You should closely follow your doctor’s instructions on how to take your medications.
- Do not give your meds to other people, even if you think that it can help them.
- In case of severe adverse effects or symptoms of an allergic reaction, seek help immediately.